Assumptions are the death of possibility says Jame Mapes. And he is fully right. if you assume that something can’t be done, be sure you cant do it unless you change your assumption.
How many opportunities have you missed because you made an assumption? How many times have you had conflicts with you partner because of you assumptions?
Some assumptions are so obvious that we don’t even notice them:
- My values are your values: I like this one. Some people are shocked by my way of seing thing assuming we have the same set of values! Values depends on culture, geography, individual and so much more.
- You know what I want: oh, really? So you have a mind reader device?
- My way is the Only right way: lol, what else?
- My understanding of a word is yours: Shamefull mistake.
- I am powerless and cannot change anything: If you believe so, try spleeping with a mosquito in you bedroom.
The list is long. So are the mistakes we make daily in our job and relations. Change will not come unless we change the way we see things and relate to others, unless we become reasonable people. Reasonable like George Bernard Shaw says:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adpat the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.